A Joy




You may not know this, but it is a well known fact in my family that my arrival as the last child was a bit of a surprise. A complete surprise in fact. "But a good one nonetheless," is what I always like to point out whenever it comes up. My parents were done having kids after my older sister Kerstin was born; but little did they know I was still in the works somewhere. And 8 months after my mom's 39th birthday I entered the Schmidt family -- all sans hair and big eared (and by C-section nonetheless). Ta-dah! And while I was visiting with my family the other week, my mom and I were chatting about my coming so unexpectedly into the family when I made my usual comment about how she has to be "so glad I came though, right?" ::wink wink:: Being my sweet mom, she stopped what she was doing, turned to me, and in her sweetest most sincere momma voice replied that she was. "Because you are a joy," she said. And as that little, kind compliment floated across the room and wriggled its way into my heart it made me feel just about like a million bucks. A joy. I can't think of anything else I would rather be called, especially by my sweet momma. I'm so lucky to have her, and when I grow up I hope to be as thoughtful and selfless as she is.

1 comments:

TheRapunzelGirl said...

i'm sure your family can't imagine it would have ever been complete without you!

Post a Comment